Tuesday, August 9, 2011

French Braid

My mom used to do the best french braid.  I remember going to a class with her many, many years ago.  She pulled, she twisted, she braided.  She mastered the french braid.  It was tight.  It was straight.  She even mastered all of those silly little fly-aways that I hated so much as a little girl.

After she passed away, I didn't have anyone at home that could do a french braid.  My dad jumped in and would curl my hair in those little pink sponge rollers, but he just couldn't figure out the french braid. This was the end-all be-all of a third and fourth grader's existence.  I HAD to have my hair pulled back in a french braid. 

It was important that it be pulled back for little pee-wee basketball.  If I wasn't going to play in the game, I at least had to look fabulous on the bench.  The french braid was the ticket.  That would ensure that I look my best while I sat there and watched the clock tick down.

These were desperate times.  So, what did I do?  I sought out other moms that had the french braiding skill.  My aunt (who lived roughly 2 1/2 miles away) so graciously braided my hair many early mornings.  Sometimes my best friend's momma braided my hair if I got to school early enough.  (She lived just across the street.)  If I were staying the night at my other friend's house, her mother would fix my hair. 

I had it made.  Almost every mother I knew had the french braiding skills.

Fast forward many years...Sis just finished third grade.  She has been lamenting that I can't french braid.  I understand the gist of it. I just can't keep it tight.  It starts off tight, but by the time I am half-way down her head, it is as loose as a goose.

I have tried braiding it when it is dry.  I have tried braiding it when it is wet.  I have even tried to have Sis hold certain pieces so it will stay tight.  All to no avail.

Since Sis recently got her hair cut, I have somewhat dodged the french braiding bullet.  Her hair is just too short.  I thought I was in the clear.  That is until this morning.  Sis was having a bad hair day and was almost in tears because her hair just looked absolutely awful, oh the life of a dramatic nine year old.

I went to work on her hair.  I cranked out this masterpiece!!!!  TA-DA!!!  I am so proud of myself. 


I am not a complete failure in the hair braiding department. 
 

No comments: