Tuesday, May 10, 2011

What's a Mother to Do?

This has happened to me a few times.  We are in the store or doctor's office and a stranger, someone I have never met before, starts talking to my kids.  I am usually a very friendly person and we strike up a conversation.  Then they offer my children a piece of candy.   And I always question what is a mother supposed to do in these situations?

Do you allow the kids to take candy from the stranger that they just met?  Or do you say no?  As a parent in this day and age, you have to be so very careful.  We've been told repeatedly by the media that there are bad people out there that will give children tainted candy.  But there are also good people out there too that just like to see a child smile.  So what's a parent to do?

One instance in particular, the woman unwrapped and all but stuck the sucker in my son's mouth.  Now that was scary!  I didn't know what to do.  I was taken a-back.  Do you pull it from your baby's mouth and be totally rude and hear your child scream as you dart out the door?  It was already in his mouth, but as soon as I rounded the corner, into the trash it went.

Is it ok if you can tell the wrapper has never been tampered with?  Do you allow it if it is a brand-name piece of candy with the wrapper still in tact?  Or do you just say, "No, thank you"? 

Pondering mama,
Carrie

No comments: