Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Depressing Weather

As many of you already know, there was a massive line of very destructive storms that raked across Kansas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas Tuesday.  This line of storms was in addition to the storms that hit Joplin, MO, Sunday evening.  While those in Joplin were still digging out from the horrific damage, many were left scrambling for cover as these high intensity storms headed their direction.

We were very fortunate.  The storms just missed us.  That is not to say that we didn't spend some time in the basement Tuesday afternoon when the sirens blared. 

I have been glued to the computer since these storms passed.  I have watched the news unfold as each town was pummeled by hail, high winds, and tornadoes.  I have looked at pictures of cars twisted in trees,  houses missing roofs, and worse.  I have viewed houses that were completely leveled.

There is one particular story that I keep coming back to for updates.  In the town of Piedmont, Oklahoma, a family without a basement or storm shelter took shelter in a bathtub.  It is one of the tornado safety tips that I remember being taught...seek shelter in an interior room, away from doors and windows.  This family, a mother and her three children, were holed up in their bathroom.  The tornado was fierce and mean.  It tore through that entire neighborhood leaving nothing but destruction in it path.  The mother, who was 5 mos. pregnant, was injured badly.  I believe she has had several surgeries today.  Her daughter, 5, is in ICU and in serious condition.  Her 15 month old little boy was found on their front lawn.  He was taken to the hospital, but passed away this morning.  Her 3 year old is still missing.  I have cried for them, I have prayed for them, and I can't leave the computer in hopes that something changes.  I have refreshed their local news web page so many times, I can't remember.  Each time I hit refresh, I hope and pray that they have found this little boy alive.  I am glued to a Facebook page that is giving updates on the search for Ryan. 

I feel helpless here and the only thing left I know to do is to pray.  Pray for this family and pray for Ryan.  Pray for those that lost loved ones, not just in Oklahoma, but pray for those in Joplin, those in Arkansas, those in Kansas, and those that are still trying to put their lives back together in Alabama.  There is so much natural disaster that is going on in our world, I just pray for all those that are affected.  I pray for comfort, pray for peace, and pray for courage to face another day.

Thanks for stopping by,
Carrie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

DeAnna says Amen and Amen Indeed.