Monday, May 30, 2011

Pics that I Love

 
First, and foremost, I love this picture because it is home.  The large monstrosity is our local coop elevator.  It stores the local farmers' harvested crop of wheat, corn, canola, and sorghum.  I drove an old, large wheat truck full of wheat the summer after my 16th birthday to it.  I promise to write about that adventure very soon.

My husband is on the road quite a bit with his job.  Because he is in the agriculture industry he is usually in remote rural areas.  He started taking some pictures of things that I might love.  He hit the nail on the head, I love this one. 


 
I love how this seems to be the only structure for miles.  I also love how the train tracks run right by it.

 
Confession time - I love sepia tone pictures.  I love how rough and old-timey it makes the picture feel.  In a sense, I feel that I have traveled back in time.  I can't decide which picture I like better, sepia tone or color.  Do you have a favorite?

Another great structure long forgotten by the railroad tracks.  At one time, I think Gano must have been a happening place for farmers.  I love, love, love this picture.


 
Have I told you that I have a thing for barns?  Oh yeah, I have a thing for them. 

This is another coop that my husband captured.  I am not cheating on my old faithful coop that I frequented so many times at the young, tender age of 16.  Just a peek at another one.    

 

I love this one.  We saw this after stuffing ourselves with Eischen's chicken and fried okra in Okarche, Oklahoma, a few weeks ago.  We were absolutely miserable, but in a good way.  I managed to sweet talk my husband into taking this picture for me.  I was too miserable to hang my head out of the window to snap it.  He did a wonderful job.


 
I love how the fence seems to be holding back the rolling and sometimes rough terrain in this one.

Just a stark fence in the middle of nowhere separating the nothingness from the nothingness.  I love the nothingness of this photo.


This is the only tree for miles.  It looks so out of place, yet so perfect all at the same time.


A long-forgotten implement left alone in the field.  I love it.





Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

plainsgirl said...

Carrie,

Love your pics of old country stuff; I think we are kindred spirits! When we ranched in Colorado, I had a thing for old doors and won a contest for a collage of those photos. Unique barbwire, old fencing, deserted cabins & barns,ghost towns...scenic shots everywhere.

Do you remember the Barns of Alfalfa County pics posted in the Cherokee paper several years ago where people wrote in guessing where/whose they were? I think there was even one of your dad & Sparky's nice shed. Driving down all our county roads shooting those I came across lots of other neat architecture, much of which has already disappeared(or been desecrated, like the old Ingersoll elevator that has the Truck Washout sign painted on it now!)I'm emailing you a couple I think you'll like. Do you have a good pic of the Driftwood elevator?

Keep up the good shooting and blogging!
Plainsgirl

Carrie said...

Yes, I do remember the Barns of Alfalfa County pics!!! I actually thought of you and that fun series when I was posting these photos last night.
I drove to Enid Saturday and saw one of the barns that you took a picture of. It has taken a beating and was falling down.
I don't have a picture of the Driftwood elevator. I remember it being there, but it was already falling down and overgrown with weeds.
Thanks for stopping by,
Carrie

Anonymous said...

Hey, you need to include a pic of one of the beautiful brick silos with this group of photos.