Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Farm Kids Gone Wild


Derek and I with Grandpa Beany
 We moved into our new house in the country when I was 7.  Up til then we lived in a big city and then in a small house in a small town until our country house was finished.  I don't know if you could call the small town a town though.  If you blinked while driving through it, you would miss it.  

Dad had cattle and used a four wheeler to round them up and what not.  That Christmas, my parents got my brother and I a small four wheeler.  My brother, Derek, was 4 1/2 at the time.  He has always been a go-getter.  And, by that, I mean he was not afraid of anything and did everything at lightning speed.  The phrase "I wanna go fast, I wanna go fast..." seems to fit his personality very well.  I can't remember exactly when this happened, but am pretty sure within the first week or two of getting our little four wheeler, he rolled it and threw me off.  I should of, at that time, vowed to never ride with him again. 

Should is the key word there. 

We had a blast on that little four wheeler.  Derek loved it.  He loved it so much that one day when he ran out of gas, he decided he would fill it up so he could ride some more.  It seems that water is not what the four wheeler ran on.  Thus, the end of our little four wheeler.  

That's ok though, we were big now.  We can ride Dad's four wheeler.  About a quarter of a mile from our house, there is what we called the "Bar Pit".  You are thinking, oh geez, she really is a hick from Oklahoma.  Well, I am not!! (said with my arms crossed and my lip sticking out)  The bar pit is basically a run-off from the river that is a couple of miles away.  Anywho, Derek and I would ride the four wheeler back and forth around the bar pit.  On this particular day, your truly, was driving and Derek was the passenger.  I can't really pinpoint what went wrong, but I drove the four wheeler into the fence that led to the bar pit.  The fence was leaning pretty badly.  Of course, leaning in the direction of the water.  Derek and I were petrified.  What should I do?  We were still pretty new at this four wheeler and didn't quite have the hang of getting the darn thing to go into reverse.  So, what do we do?  We tried pushing it back, but it wasn't going to budge, not with two skinny punks with no upper arm strength pushing it.  So, we ran.  We ran like crazy to the house.  We told Dad of our troubles and he went and saved the four wheeler.  Whew!!!  As my son says, "That was a close one."  And, it was. 

There are many more four wheeler stories that I will share with you later.  Stay tuned!

Thanks for stopping by,
Carrie 

No comments: