Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Gopher

I was Clint's gopher today.  You know, go for this and go for that...gopher.  He needed me to pick up a sprayer for him in a town a couple of hours away.  It reminded me of several years ago. 

I was Dad's gopher for a while.  I was so excited about being able to finally drive myself around that I loved it.  He would send me to get a part in a couple of towns away.  Most of the time he would call the shop before I headed their direction.  He would tell them what he was needing and give the store clerk a description of me.  I can only imagine that his description was that a skinny, blonde, confused looking girl would be in there in a bit.  They would gladly give me what I was there for and send me on my happy little way.  Then there were times that Dad would tell me specifically what he needed and I would be on my own.  I would drop into the place and pull out my cheat sheet and tell the guy what I was there for.  I am pretty sure that once I drew a picture of the part that Dad needed.  Knowing my drawing skills, I am sure that the store got a kick of what that tool or part was supposed to be. 

Then there was this time that my hubby sent me on a part run.  We used to have this older Blazer.  It was always throwing U-joints.  Clint was constantly working on it.  This particular time he thought he could get it up and running with a part from the big city.  I happened to be going there for a meeting so he asked me to stop by there and pick it up for him.  It didn't seem like a problem.  I could stop by there during a lunch break and be back to my meeting without missing a beat.  But there was a problem, unbeknownst to us.  It seems that the part that my hubby needed was only available at this one place.    This one place was the seedy part of town.  You know, the one that you don't want to be at after dark.  Thank goodness that I went on my lunch break instead of after the meeting.  I am happy to say that I survived.  I wasn't mugged or robbed, and Clint got his part. 

I will never let him forget that part run.  In fact, I brought it up just last weekend. 

The gopher,
Carrie

No comments: