Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Around the Farm in Illinois

When we were in Illinois, we lived in an old farmhouse.  From what I can remember, the farmhouse was a Sears & Roebuck house that was moved from in town over 60 years ago.  The farmer lived in the house until he died on his 99th birthday.  He grew corn and soybeans.  He also had some cattle.  The house had a lot of character.  Isn't that what you say when you are talking about a fixer-upper?  By fixer-upper, I am pretty sure you would be better to bulldoze it and start fresh.  It had quite a lean to it and absolutely no insulation.  The curtains would move when the wind blew, you get the picture, right? But we survived, and are better for it.  Even though the house wasn't much, the property was beautiful.  You could tell that this farmstead was a happening place back in the day. 



There was a white wash fence around the yard with this Beef sign.  I don't know why I liked it so much, but I did.  A sign of what things used to be, I suppose.


This rugged barn was to the East of the house.  It was next to the corrals where they would round up, sort, and weigh their cattle.


This is the scales in the scalehouse next to the barn above.  When we arrived and were snooping around the property, we found a swimsuit calendar from 1994 in there.  Apparently, this farmer was quite the character.


This barn took a beating when we were there.  It was in obvious repair when we arrived, and was past the point of repair when we left.  The wind could sure blow there. 


Please help me, I have a thing for old barns.  This one was the object of my affection.  I took many, many pictures of it.  It was about 1/2 a mile to the East of our house.  I believe it is owned by the farmer's brother.  It was built in 1909. 


I don't know why I love this picture.  I think it has something to do with the peeling paint and the ruggedness of the wood. 


This is the farmstead to the West of our house.  A unique older lady owned it with her sons.  She had quite the collection of animals.  Geese, chickens, guineas, ducks, turkeys, sheep, horses, cattle, pigs...  It is a miracle that I didn't murder any of her geese, chickens, ducks, or guineas.  They were free-range during the day.  They ventured out on the road...I drive too fast...you can see where this is going. 

Thank you for joining me on this roadtrip,
Carrie

No comments: