Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Simple Sweet Mid-Week Treat: Blueberry Cookies


My cousin emailed me a recipe for blueberry cookies a couple of days ago.  We are big blueberry fans.  My kids love them and eat frozen blueberries for snacks.  When I got this recipe, I knew that I had blueberry cookies in my near future.  They are light and very muffinesque (new word, I just made it up).  They reminded me so much of a blueberry muffin and there was a big bonus...I didn't have to wash a muffin pan.  Because seriously that is probably the worst baking dish to ever have to clean...12 of those little cups with muffin crumbs caked on them.  Anyways, back to the cookies...they were great.  You should make some.

Start with a stick of butter.

Add some brown sugar.

Beat it, beat it...

Add an egg.

And vanilla.

Beat it, beat it. Don't you know you got to beat it...

Dump in some flour, baking powder, and salt.

And cinnamon.

Yep, beat it.

Add some milk. And mix it together.

Dump in the crowning glory...blueberries.

Gently mix by hand.

Drop by spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet. And pop them in the oven.

Ta-da!!  Blueberry cookies.  Enjoy!!


Blueberry Cookies

1 stick butter, room temperature
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 whole egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 Tablespoon milk, or more if needed
3/4 cup fresh blueberries

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until smooth.  Add egg and vanilla, mixing well until combined, about 2 minutes.  Stir in flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon with the mixer on low speed.  Mix until dough comes together.  Add in milk.  If dough is still crumbly, add milk 1 tablespoon at a time until it comes together.  Fold in the blueberries gently with a spatula - it is okay if they break a bit.  Refrigerate for 30 minutes.  Remove dough from the fridge and drop by spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet.  Bake for 10-12 minutes.  Let cool completely.  Makes 15 cookies.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

plainsgirl said...

Uh,oh...I used my last blueberries in a 4th of July pie yesterday. Along with a cherry pie that's almost gone already thanks to visiting sister and husband..okay I had a piece for breakfast too! Thanks for the new recipe.