Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Meme's Chicken and Sour Cream Enchiladas


I have always called my mother's mother Meme.  She wasn't ever Grandma to me.  She was and still is and will always be Meme. 
Funny side story here. When Clint was introducing my grandparents to his parents a long time ago, he forgot my grandparent's names.  After introducing his parents he said that this is Carrie's grandparents...um...well...um...Papa and Meme.
Meme used to make these enchiladas for us every time she came to visit.  We loved them and still do.  My hubby loves them, um hello, green chilies!!!  Remember, he is kind of into those.  I love this recipe because it is really easy and scrumptious.  

Start with some cooked, diced up chicken.  (I use a rotisserie chicken from the store.  I'm lazy like that.)


Dump some cream of chicken into the pan.


And some sour cream.


Then add drained green chilies, salt and pepper.


Combine. Over medium heat bring to a boil.


Spread a little of chicken mixture into the bottom of your baking dish to prevent burning.


Spoon chicken mixture into a tortilla.


Wrap and place the filled tortilla seam side down into your baking dish.

 
Repeat.  And repeat.  And repeat.  You get the idea.


Spoon remaining chicken mixture onto the top of the filled tortillas.


Top with cheese.  I used Colby Jack to keep the enchiladas mild (for the kiddos), but you could really spice it up with Pepper Jack cheese.

Bake.


 Delicious!!
 Mmmmm, yummy.

Chicken and Sour Cream Enchiladas
2 cups diced cooked chicken
1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
9 flour tortillas
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (Cheddar, Colby Jack, Monterrey Jack, your preference)
Combine chicken, cream of chicken soup, chilies, salt and pepper.  Over medium heat bring to a boil.  Put a small amount of chicken mixture into the bottom of your baking dish to prevent burning.  Place 2 tablespoons of mixture on each tortilla.  Roll and place in an oblong baking dish.  Pour remaining mixture over enchiladas; sprinkle with cheese.  Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or til bubbly at 350 degrees.

2 comments:

Angela said...

I'm gonna have to try this recipe! It looks & sounds pretty YUMMO!

Bernadette said...

It's at the top of my list for next week's menus!