Monday, September 12, 2011

The Measurement of a Boy's Love


Last night at bedtime, I did all the usual stuff. I read him a story, sprayed the spiders away, told him a story, sang him a lullaby, got him a little glass of water, and did the usual good night, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite.

We used to have a really simple, no fuss bed time. Then as all kids do, we added to the bed time routine.

It used to be a simple good night, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite.

Then he went through a scaredy spider phase. It was then that Febreze was transformed into Spider Be Gone. That miraculous spray would scare those spiders away. His room never smelled so good.

After the spiders made a beeline for the other room, he asked for a lullaby.

A few weeks later, he asked for me to read a story.

A few more days passed, and he then asked for me to tell him a story. My creativity is shot at this point in the day. His bedtime story usually has something to do with whatever toy I tripped over while putting him in bed.

Lately, he has asked for something to drink.

It is a long process. I can't believe I allowed myself to get suckered into such a long bed time routine.

But it is what it is. In a few more years, he won't let me tuck him in.


After I got him all settled and went through the million step ritual, Daddy went in to give him a hug.

He sat down on his bed and their conversation went something like this...

Clint - Hey buddy, I love you. I love you bunches.

C-man - Yeah...

Clint - Do you love me?

C-man - Yeah...

Clint - How much do you love me?

C-man - Well, we were just at Grandma's house and Christmas is coming soon.

Clint - Ummm, alright buddy.

C-man - Yeah, good night Daddy.


C-man's love for his daddy falls somewhere between being at Grandma's house and Christmas. That's a pretty good position, isn't it?

No comments: