Monday, April 4, 2011

The Machine Shed

Mother's Day Weekend '10
When we moved to Illinois, we were completely and totally new to the area.  Being new, we wanted to see what all was around us.  We wanted to experience it completely.  We are BIG foodies and to experience the area it is necessary to try out all the food options.  It was one Saturday, I am certain it was raining...it seemed that it was always raining there.  We decided to head to the Quad Cities and mess around.  Of course this meant trying out a new food spot.  We decided to head to The Machine Shed.  We walked in and I knew that we were in for a treat.  It smelled wonderful and the decor, oh the decor, it was so wonderfully homey.  I felt back at home on the farm.  There were old signs, old farmers hats, aprons, overalls...I was just a puddle of warm goo. 

Our first meal at The Machine Shed was lunch.  They served us family style...family size bowl of cottage cheese and applesauce to pass around.  I love chicken fried steak and I knew that that was what was going to make or break this place.  Guess what...they passed!!!  This country girl approved of their chicken fried steak.  Their pie looked absolutely amazing.  I wish, oh how I wish, I would have had room to try it.  Alas, I had already let out my jeans.  There was absolutely no way that I was going to be able to eat it. 

We had tried their lunch, now we needed to try their breakfast.  Another weekend came around and we loaded up the kids to drive the hour to get there.  Sure enough, we were oh so glad that we went.  Their cinnamon rolls were out of this world.  I preferred the pecan caramel cinnamon roll.  They were huge.  Our entire family could easily make a meal out of one.  Everything was delicious.  So simple, but sooo good.  The Machine Shed has a special phrase that if you said it, you would receive an extra egg on your plate.  "I love eggs!!!"  Clint and his father (when they came to visit) loved this!!!!  They would say the phrase and would often say the phrase for me or my mother-in-law so they could get our extra egg too.  What can I say, they love eggs!!!

I soooo love The Machine Shed.  I miss it so much.  It was such a fun family thing to do together.  Load up and drive the hour to eat home-cooked food that reminded us of the farm.  I believe they have 6 restaurants, 2 in Iowa, 1 in Minnesota, 1 in Illinois, and 2 in Wisconsin.  If you are so lucky to be living close to one of these restaurants, run, don't walk, and get some goooood food.  You will not be disappointed.  If you are traveling to this area...perhaps touring the John Deere plant, please stop there to grab a bite to eat.  You will be glad that you stopped; however, you may need a nap after eating a meal here.  So, please, plan your schedule accordingly.

Thanks for stopping by,
Carrie

FYI:  The Machine Shed does not know me.  I am just a country girl that loves their home-cooked food.

    

No comments: