Saturday, April 30, 2011

Antiques and the "B" Word

I love to go antique shopping.  I should rephrase that, I love going antique shopping sans my children.  When I go antiquing with my kids, I will find myself saying something like..."Hey, get off of that 100 year old rocking chair!!!"  Or, "No you may not have jewelry from the 50's.  I'm sorry, I know you like it, but the answer is no."  Yes, I am a mean mom, but you gotta draw the line somewhere. 

There is this other problem that I have when I go antique shopping.  I have to go shopping with a "B".  Yes, you know the one...a budget.  (Insert dramatic music)  I do love looking at all the wonderful antiques and have even picked up and carried around a certain piece but ultimately go put it back.  It's not that my husband hasn't given me the go ahead to buy something.  It is that I always try to rationalize the purchase and well, when it comes to an antique ultimately I decide there are other things that I could spend the money on. 

I have to get over this predicament because I have let go of some really wonderful old things.  Here are a few of the things that I have picked up before talking myself out of it.

 

I love old gameboards.  I know that this one isn't too old, but I love it.  I love the red and the green and the net pockets on it.  Eventually, I would love to have a whole wall filled with gameboards.  I know that is a weird dream, but you know, weird dreams for a weird girl.


Isn't this old rolling pin the coolest?  It has so much character.  Can you imagine how much pie crust this puppy has rolled out?  Or how many loaves of bread it has seen?  


Crocks!  Man, I do love crocks.  I saw this one at a consignment store.  There wasn't a price tag on it, so I had to call the store clerk over.  I looked it over, one side and down the other.  It is certainly not perfect, but I knew that I was going to get it.  Then I continued walking around the store and again talked myself out of it.  My grandparents (Meme and Papa) were with us on that day.  Papa saw me eyeing it, and as we were getting ready to leave I told him I decided against it.  He decided that I needed it and got it for me.  This crock has a sweet story to go with it!  I would love to have crocks in every room of my house, but alas I will just have to dream.     

Thanks for stopping by,
Carrie

No comments: