Saturday, October 15, 2011

Gypsum Hills at 70 mph

First of all let me just say, this week has been absolutely Crazy. That's right crazy with a capital C! Along with the normal school routine of homework, gymnastics, and drill team, I threw in some computer work. I have spent an exorbitant amount of time staring at my computer screen and entering data. Once I finished my projects for the day, I was done. I was done with my computer, done with wanting to cook supper, done with wanting do my mile-high pile of laundry...I think you get my picture...I was done.

So here's my apology for not getting any posts written this week...sorry.


Last weekend we made a quick trip to Oklahoma. The kids were excited to see their grandparents. C-man packed all his toys up early Friday morning so that he would be ready to go. We decided to take the scenic route to their house. We drove through the Gypsum Hills between Coldwater and Ashland, Kansas.

There is some really pretty scenery right through there. I really wanted to stop to take some pictures, but the kids would not allow it. They had already done the Grandma dance and there was no more delaying. So I did what any sane, normal, country lovin' girl would do...I stuck my head out the window and started snapping pictures while we zoomed down the highway at 70 miles per hour.

Some were pretty blurry, but I got a few good ones.

Check out the rich, red soil at the base of that hill. It is truly a beautiful little section of Kansas.



One of these days, I will stop and take all the pictures my heart desires. That might be a long trip.  Drive a few miles, get out and snap a few pictures, drive a few more miles, get out and snap a few pictures...

As we continued driving East, we watched the sun set in our mirrors.

1 comment:

plainsgirl said...

Love that area too! One of these days when your kids aren't along, (or when they start appreciating scenery too!) you'll have to take the Gyp Hills Scenic Drive that goes south about 3 miles west of Med. Lodge. It's different than The Gypsum Hills Scenic Byway. (http://www.kansassampler.org/8wonders/8wondersofkansas-view.php?id=29)and equally grand. Bob and I have stopped for shots lots of places out there.